Is Cheaper Better?
As you begin researching the different types of weight loss surgery options and the amazing impact that metabolic surgery can have on your weight, your health, and your overall wellness, you have probably also begun to realize just how expensive surgery can be in the United States. At the same time, you have probably also begun to notice the eye-catching advertisements offering bariatric surgery in Mexico at highly discounted prices, much less than the quotes you are getting here in the US.
It is tempting to believe that you could have your life’s dream as easily and cheaply as they advertise! And yes, metabolic surgery is often cheaper in Mexico than it is in the United States. But this is truly a case of “buyer beware”. Dr. Wiljon Beltre, Board certified surgeon and Medical Director at The Center for Metabolic and Obesity Surgery in Altamonte Springs, Florida wants you to know exactly WHY surgery in Mexico is cheaper and why it may not, in fact, be a dream come true.
Why is Surgery So Cheaper in Mexico?
1. Less qualified surgeons:
In Mexico, a surgeon can claim, through an Internet offer or even over the phone, to be “qualified”, but in reality, it is very difficult for you to find out what that actually means. It could, and very often does, mean that he or she only has a basic medical license but lacks specialized training in or experience performing the procedure you want.
- The rules regulating qualifications in the United States are extremely clear and extremely strict. To become a Board certified surgeon, Dr. Wiljon Beltre spent years in specialized training programs focused specifically on bariatric surgery, and has passed an examination given by a nationally-recognized medical organization. And you don’t have to simply take his word for it; Dr. Beltre’s education and status as a Board certified surgeon are public record!
2. Unsanitary surgical facilities:
While the website advertising a Mexican surgical center may show pictures of a clean, polished, sterile setting, the reality is likely very different. Many surgical offices in Mexico are unregulated and potentially even illegal, without qualified personnel, sterile instruments, and the ability to offer emergency services should a complication occur.
- The Center for Metabolic and Obesity Surgery is an accredited surgical facility, which means that it meets an exceedingly high standard for cleanliness and preparedness. It is staffed by licensed professionals, all of whom have rigorous training required to support even “routine” surgical procedures and have the experience to cope with complications, no matter how unlikely.
3. Deceptive pricing schemes:
The low quote you receive for a procedure in Mexico may not, in fact probably does not, include everything that the surgery will entail. Thus, after you have paid the quoted amount, in cash up front, you may find yourself being confronted with additional fees to cover services—like anesthesia or facility charges—not included in the original cost estimate.
- When Dr. Beltre offers a cost estimate, it states very clearly what the cost includes and what it excludes. We make every effort to make our estimates as inclusive as possible based on your unique medical history—including not only the surgery itself, but the anesthesia, facility fees, and all scheduled pre- and post-operative visits. And while we cannot anticipate every cost, we make every attempt to ensure that you understand when, and why, the final cost may differ from the estimate before you proceed with the procedure.
4. Lack of accountability:
The simple fact is that should a complication or problem arise after your surgery in Mexico, you are unlikely to be able to hold the surgeon or the practice accountable, legally or financially. Without the need to carry insurance or hire a lawyer, a practice in Mexico can indeed maintain lower costs, leaving you to bear the financial burden of dealing with side effects and complications on your own.
- Even Dr. Beltre’s years of training and experience, and his use of advanced, cutting-edge techniques, cannot totally eliminate the risk of surgical complications. Dr. Beltre will do his best to inform you of those risks and what they may entail in terms of cost up front, and help you understand whether your insurance is likely to cover any medical issues that may arise as the result of surgical complications.
5. Lack of long-term support:
When you get surgery in Mexico, that is likely to be ALL YOU GET. You may see your surgeon for a pre-operative consultation and then again on the day after, but once the surgery is over, you are likely to be on your own, even if complications arise. The low cost of the surgery in Mexico may not include post-operative follow-ups to ensure that you are healing properly and that your weight loss is proceeding as planned.
- Dr. Beltre believes that weight loss surgery is only one part of a longer weight loss journey, and his goal is to stay with you throughout the entire journey, not just the surgery. That means extensive follow-up visits with Dr. Beltre, scheduled meetings with his on-staff dietician before and after the procedure, and participation in weight loss support groups, all of which are a critical piece of ensuring the long-term success of your weight loss surgery.
CONTACT THE CENTER FOR METABOLIC AND OBESITY SURGERY
At The Center for Metabolic and Obesity Surgery, located in Altamonte Springs, Florida, we offer a proven, multifaceted approach to metabolic and bariatric surgery that will empower you to achieve your weight loss goals, improve your health and appearance, and rebuild your self-confidence. Led by esteemed, Board Certified surgeon Dr. Wiljon Beltre, one of the only fellowship-trained bariatric surgeons in Central Florida, we specialize in the latest cutting-edge procedures for safe, effective surgical weight loss coupled with a dedicated support team of caring, experienced specialists who will stand by your side to support you throughout your entire weight loss journey. Significant weight loss is not easy, but with the help of with our confidential consultation and education process, the surgical skill and experience of our medical team, and the advice and guidance of our ongoing support network, we can help you achieve the lasting weight loss success you have been dreaming about.
If you are tired of the endless rounds of fad dieting and fruitless exercise regimens and think you may be ready for significant weight loss with metabolic or bariatric surgery, or if you would like more information about self pay gastric sleeve surgery at The Center for Metabolic and Obesity Surgery, contact us today for a free consultation. We look forward to helping you start your weight loss journey!
DISCLAIMER: Metabolic surgery involves a lifetime commitment to significant lifestyle changes, and is not for everyone. Individual results differ depending on each patient’s medical history and willingness and ability to adhere to the weight loss program specified by Dr. Beltre. As with all surgical procedures, all forms of metabolic surgery carry the risk of complications and side effects; additional details about potential complications, side effects, and other risks will be provided to you by Dr. Beltre during your pre-surgical consultations.